What is sweat?
Sweat, also known as perspiration, is a normal and healthy bodily function and it starts to occur just a few months after birth.
We mainly sweat to cool our bodies down, a process called thermoregulation. Our brain sends a signal to over 3 million glands in our body to release sweat (a clear fluid made of water, salts and proteins). As this fluid evaporates from our skin, it lowers our body temperature.
There are many factors that can cause us to perspire:
- Hot environments
- General movement and physical activities
- Emotional feelings, including stress
- Eating hot or spicy food
- Side effects from medication or surgery
- Illness, as our bodies fight infections or fevers
- Hormonal changes such as menopause, pregnancy, menstruation or puberty
On this site you’ll find lots of helpful information about how to stop sweat and how Rexona can help.
Sweating too much? Discover why you sweat >