Why do I get sweat stains?
Sweat itself is clear, but when sweat patches get on your clothes and dry, the salt, proteins and oils in your sweat may leave a residue. This usually disappears with normal machine washing.
What are yellow stains?
Sweat stain problems occur if the sweat patches are left to dry and not washed for a long time, or if there’s a build-up of antiperspirant or deodorant product mixed in. Over time, the aluminium in the product and the salt in your sweat combine to form a yellow sweat stain, making it harder to remove with normal washing.
What are white marks?
White stains (or marks) on clothes can come from your deodorant or antiperspirant product. Some products transfer easily to your clothes and leave marks as you dress.
Other products, like Rexona’s Invisible range, are specially designed to reduce white marks on your clothes and to prevent the buildup of yellow stains, so you still get great protection – for you and your favourite clothes.
How do I get rid of sweat stains?
- Wear loose clothing made of natural fibres like cotton, linen and wool. This will allow your sweat to evaporate more easily.
- Make sure your antiperspirant deodorant is dry before dressing or use a ‘dry on application’ product like an aerosol.
- Don’t use too much product, as this can lead to build-up and cause yellow stains. One application will do the same job as several.
- Use a biological washing powder to break down the sweat and the product in the fabric.
- Don’t iron a sweat stain or sweat patch, as the heat will ‘set’ it, making it harder to shift.
- If the stains are really bad or the stain has ‘set’, soak the armpit area of your clothes in a mixture of two parts white vinegar and one part water before washing – this will break down the stain. Don’t do this with delicate fabrics.
- Take care with delicate fabrics like silk and lace, as these may need professional cleaning to get rid of stains.
- If stains are the result of sweat patches from excessive sweating, consider using a clinical strength antiperspirant deodorant, like Rexona Maximum Protection.